Guam EPSCOR is a 5-year, $6 million grant to the University of Guam from the National Science Foundation. The program aims to develop a Guam Ecosystems Collaboratorium to ensure the sustainability of coral reef ecosystems in the face of environmental change. Guam EPSCoR aims to situate Guam as a premier research and STEM (Science Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) education hub bolstering sustainability, economic development, and informed decision-making by engaging communities in 21st-century science.
In addition to its research goals, Guam EPSCoR seeks to increase the number and diversity of students who choose STEM careers by engaging students in its Graduate Research Assistantship Program (GRA). The GRA program is a year-long program open to select graduate students seeking research opportunities with Guam EPSCoR faculty. Student research training and tasks may include field work to investigate coral reefs or to deploy and retrieve oceanographic instruments, as well as work in the University of Guam Marine Laboratory’s Molecular Lab. Selected students will learn about DNA extraction and sequencing and/or how to readout and analyze data to characterize marine environments. Ideal candidates are self-motivated, well organized, and have research interests related to the objectives of the Guam Ecosystems Collaboratorium.
The University of Guam and Research Corporation of the University of Guam are Equal Opportunity Employers that have received NSF funding to broaden the participation of underrepresented students in STEM fields. As such, the GRA Program remains open to all qualified students, but women, minorities, and students with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident of Guam, or non-immigrant alien admitted into Guam under the Compacts of Free Association
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in undergraduate studies or 3.25 in graduate studies
- Research experience and training
- Faculty/Researcher mentoring
- Annual stipend of up to $18,000.00
- Tuition Waiver of up to 21 credits per semester for up to three academic years for graduate students
- Possible travel opportunities
- Drop off this application and transcript to:
Guam EPSCoR Office, University of Guam, Dean Circle House #4
Office Hours 8AM – 5PM, Monday – Friday
- Or, you can email documents to Mellani Lubuag at firstname.lastname@example.org. PDF format only. Please put “2018 Guam EPSCOR GRA Application” in the subject line.
SPACE IS LIMITED.
DUE DATE: JULY 2, 2018 (CHST)FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Mellani Lubuag, Program Manager
email@example.com / (671) 735-0301/09